Monday, September 15, 2008

Armstrong To Come Back in 09

Those who know me, know that I religiously follow cycling. I was an avid cyclist in my junior high and high school days and am trying to get back into it when time permits.

Like a lot of the cycling world, I was shocked to hear that Lance Armstrong will be staging a comeback for 2009. It looks like he will be targeting 5 races, The Tour of California, Tour of Georgia, Paris Nice, Daupine Libre, and of course the Tour de France. Armstrong claims that his comeback is to raise global awareness for cancer and that he will not take a salary. Personally, I have my doubts about this. I think there is another motive that he is not telling us about. Maybe he wants to prove he still has it, maybe he owns stock in the financially failing Tour of Georgia and hopes his presence will help find a new sponsor for that race, or maybe he just misses it. Whatever the reason is, I think 2009 will be an interesting season.

Since he has not stated which team he will be riding for, I want to take a poll to see which team from the ones I've listed below you think he will most likely race for:

A) Astana
B) CSC
C) Columbia - High Road
D) Garmin
E) None of the above - he will start his own team
F) None of the above - he will race for a team not listed above

Leave your comments and why you think he will race for your team of choice. I'll tell you what I think and why in a later post.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad you posted this because I was going to ask you about it the next time I talked to you.

Since I know SO MUCH about the different teams, I am going to say Garmin, I'm not the person you want to ask. Keep me updated on how the cycling world is going!

Hillary said...

I am cheating a little because I already know what you think. Since Tracy already voted for Garmin, I am going to throw in a vote for Columbia. As for Lance I think he might be frustrated with all of the drug acusations and watching all of the riders, who were no challenge to him, win races. If he were to come back and win again with all of the new testing they have I would believe he was clean in the past.

paulsharol said...

cycling for lance is toast maybe he can make it again ride the bike to win

GrandpaB said...

Ryan, please slow down on your entries, I can't keep up with them. I don't think that any team will pick up Armstrong unless they really hate the French or the Tour de France committee!

Uncle Mummy said...

I think it will be Garmin - I can't see Lance racing for a EU team. I would like to see him with Hincapie again. We can count on 09 cycling being exciting.