Friday, May 30, 2008

Why the name File Monkey

It seems like everyone I know has a blog, including my wife and daughter. I've even heard of people making money off of their blogs. Not wanting to be considered a luddite, I decided that it was time for me to jump on the bandwagon and finally start a blog.

For my first post I thought that I would explain my title. By trade, I am an attorney. I started law school dreaming of the large paycheck I was sure to start earning upon my graduation. I started applying for jobs all across the United States. As anyone who has been in the market for a job can attest, I also started collecting rejection letters. As graduation approached in 2003 I still had not found a job.

My first job as a law school graduate was working for a temp agency. They placed me with a local company where my primary responsibility was working in a file room all day placing documents in their proper files. A job a trained monkey could probably do. I was also paid about as much as a trained monkey. Trying to find humor in what was a very humiliating and frustrating experience for me I gave myself the name File Monkey. The company where I worked had a lot of interesting people some of whom drove me absolutely crazy. I used to joke with my wife that I was going to write a book about all of my adventures working as File Monkey and would call it "The Adventures of File Monkey." Well this isn't a book by any means, but maybe I'll blog about my adventures as File Monkey.

8 comments:

Uncle Mummy said...

I like the name - I, too, have had my share of file money jobs.

Looking forward to future entries.

Emily's View said...

That was very funny. I'm excited to see you're view of things.

Laura said...

This sounds interesting Ryan.

Tracy said...

Wecloming to the blogging world! We've all been a file monkey at some point in life. Hopefully, you won't ever have to be one again!

Kevin said...

I like the name too--sounds like something out of a Dilbert cartoon.

Alisa said...

Oooo! Let the job horror stories begin!

paulsharol said...

hi is this our Ryan money isnt everything

T. McArthur said...

I really like the name.